Monday, July 17, 2006

The Montreal "Jazz" Festival: Part II

The Incident notwithstanding, there was jazz to be found.

After the soundcheck, we happened upon Accoules Sax. They're a French take on a street band... sorta like you might find in New Orleans, but get this... 6 saxophones, 2 drummers... and Alain doubles on bullhorn when he raps. They were a sorely-needed infusion of just plain fun and funky music. Previously low-key nine-year-old percussionist, Alexandre, suddenly came to life as a B-Boy during a piece called "Go-Go Dancing, In the Bathroom".

We attended one of the jam sessions at the Hyatt Regency. Choosing to see the glass as half-full, I'll focus on the younger players; winners of the Galaxie Rising Star award. Where the house band was capable-but-cautious, here were some kids who weren't afraid to stretch. Bon chance, boys. Drop me a line, when you've got a CD.

Thursday, 6 July: 9:00 PM
Joelle Leandre, Lori Freedman, and Bernard Falaise
Musee d'Art Contemporain de Montreal

Somewhere in that very abstract space between 'free jazz' and experimental chamber music, Joelle Leandre's inspired me. I didn't quite warm up to Lori Freedman or Bernard Falaise, unfortunately. Still, Lori Freedman's was my first live experience with bass clarinet; a truly amazing instrument... and there was very nearly a fight in the audience; not a common occurence at the shows I go to.


Saturday, 8 July: 9:00 PM
Dom Minasi Trio (Dom Minasi (guitar); Ken Filiano (bass); Jackson Krall (drums))
Musee d'Art Contemporain de Montreal

I'd only become aware of Dom Minasi when WHUS received "The Vampire's Revenge" about 2 months ago. I love avant-garde groups that swing; and these guys do. Further more, I'm a sucker for deconstructing standards and stripping them down to their essence. I'd never heard Ken Filiano before. He blew me away!

We met Ken Filiano's wife, singer Andrea Wolper, afterwards. I rarely appreciate jazz vocalists, but when I fall for one, I fall hard. Andrea Wolper's "The Small Hours" introduces us to a singer with a very direct, vulnerable voice and delivery. She also manages to pull off that trick of making it all seem effortless; like Carmen McRae used to do.

So, there was jazz to be had in Montreal, that week... You just had to dig for it, is all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ken Laster said...

Well, sounds like a great adventure, even with the dissapointing Part 1 post. Other than Paul Simon (a great songwriter for sure, though strange to be a headliner in a Jazz Fest) I can't say that I have heard of any of the aformentioned musicians! With the state of Jazz as it is these days, nearly all of the great new music is with independent musicians; self published and self promoted. Its a sad state for jazz, i'm afraid. I think that Europe (maybe even Montreal/Quebec) is still fertile ground for jazz artists and jazz fans.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home